Welcome to my world, this blog is nothing more than the randomness that dominates my life. Enjoy.

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Small Town U.S.A.

Small Town U.S.A.

     I live in Tulsa, OK which isn't the biggest city in the US... it is a city but has a small town feel to it.  Anyways, I heard about a festival in one of the outer suburbs called- hang on to your hats- The Bixby Corn Festival.  I can't make this stuff up!  But I heard that it was pretty fun so I thought I would go and have a looksey.  First of all it wasn't as hillbilly as it sounded.  It was a bunch of craft booths and food venders, then tonight a little carnival.  Dan and I don't ride carnival rides. Well, we don't ride very many rides carnival or not, so there wasn't a point in going back.  

     It would have been more enjoyable if it wasn't 105 outside.  This heat needs to build up a good thunderstorm, its so hot out!  A good storm needs to come and cool it off.  I can handle heat up to about 98 degrees, however, once we get well into the hundreds I'm hiding inside with the A/C blasting!  They were handing out fans and bottled water, which was pretty nice because usually most places take advantage of heat and make you pay five dollars a bottle or some nonesense like that.

     We did find a new burger joint which was featured in Southern Living.  It's no Weber's but it was a very close second.  The burger it's self was very tasty but I had to deduct points for the fries.  Weber's has home cut french fries and these were the crinkle cut frozen kind.  I love french fries and the homemade kind will always trump the frozen, if any of you reading own a hamburger joint cut the frozen crap and go back to the original!

     We then wandered outside where I saw a sign for friend green tomatoes.  I love some good friend green tomatoes, yeah I know, I'm country leave me alone.  Can't help it, I was raised in a little bity town in Oklahoma.  Good soul food is what I was raised on, but I digress.I knew that I would be eating them so I only got the baby burger at the cafe.  These were horrible.  I was so disappointed!  They were deep fried and they served them with ranch... ew!  First of all, I hate ranch and second I like mine fried in a pan preferably a cast iron pan but never deep fried!  


Of course I had to add some Fried Green Tomatoes Clips!
     So, this brings me to the last portion of the blog.  My dinner.  You know I went home and made fried green tomatoes the right way.  They were so delicious and I was too excited to eat them to take a photo.  The right way shouldn't be majorly coated in flour you should be able to see a little of the tomato skin.  I can still taste them and I am going to have to go hunt more down because even Dan who hates, hates, hates tomatoes had to say they were tasty!



Love and Small Town Fun,


Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment